Thursday 14 April 2011

05/06 Gas Marty

 I didn't expect to do today's kill so quick on the heels of Steve.
     I was driving on I-15 at around three when I decided to stop for gas. I didn't plan to do anything. If it hadn't been after midnight I wouldn't have done anything. I take this thing seriously. One kill a day, not just butchering my way across the country.
      
                 I pull off at the first open gas station. It was a deserted little mom and pop. Didn't look for that, was just what I found.
            I really needed to pee so when I saw the door was locked and there was a sign saying to go to the window for service after midnight. I banged on the door.
    
           Marty walked over. He was about twenty-two in a red bowling shirt style uniform shirt with his name and the store's logo.
          "Marty, buddy, you gotta help me out." I said. "I've been on the road since six thirty and I really need to take a leak."
        Marty smiled apologetically and said, "Wish I could, Sir, but it's against the rules. I can't open those doors from midnight to five a.m."
      
           I looked at my watch and said, "It's almost four, Marty. Can't you open a little early? Be a pal, buddy. I really need to go."
              "Sorry. I just can't." He did look honestly sorry.
    
                 I thought a moment and said, "If you let me in Marty, I will promise to buy 50 bucks in stuff in the shop. Do you ever sell fifty bucks in merchandise in this graveyard shift?"
         "No. But it's not about that. I just can't. Why don't you go take a leak behind the dumpster. I need to hose down the lot in the morning anyway." He said, it was obvious he hoped he'd found a solution."
      
                  "Marty, I can't. I know it's crazy but my mom would beat the shit out of me if I ever pissed outside. Now I physically can't. Seriously, Marty, I'll be in and out in a minute or two. Please."
       Marty unlocked the door and let me in.
  
                        I went into the restroom and peed. When I came out I made good on my promise to get fifty dollars worth of stuff, even though Marty kept promising I didn't need to.
              
                 They had Coke in the glass bottles. How's that for perfect. I grabbed two. I grabbed a half dozen candy bars, two microwave burritos, a pair of sunglasses and a ball cap with an amusing phrase. What really pushed the bill over fifty dollars is I bought a gascan. Preying on stranded motorists, companies jack those things up. I have never seen a five dollar gas can sold in a station for less than twenty.
              Marty rang me up. It was $51.73.
        
               I broke the bottom off one of the Cokes and jammed the jagged remains into his neck. I twisted hard as I stabbed and followed immediately with a couple slashes.
The broken bottle is more a slashing weapon than a stabbing weapon.
          
           It was a moment before he even tried to get away. By then I had the gaping mouths in his neck opened wide enough that no amount of ineffective grabbing with his hand was going to slow things down. I slashed the backs of his hands and his wrists anyway to discourage it. He was mostly just screaming but I'm pretty sure he asked 'why?' in there somewhere. And really that's the question isn't it Marty, why?
      
        Before I left I went around and pushed Marty out of the way. I couldn't remember what pump I was parked at so I just turned them all on. I checked the register. There was fifty seven in bills and a roll of quarters. There was probably another twenty in mixed change but I just emptied the quarter cup. I wasn't going to stand there and count change.

I walked out opening the second bottle. It's amazing, Coke really does taste better out of a glass bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment